Can a special needs parent be a good special needs professional

I am an autism mom and a special educator and in that order of my more natural role. So does that mean that since I am a mom of a special needs child, and that comes first, do I fall short in the role of a special education professional. Sometimes, I have come across a view point that a special needs parent can not be a good special needs professional as they cannot keep the emotional aspect aside. My take on it is different and here's why. People may agree or disagree with me but I lay down my points here.
  1. A professional who is also a parent of a child with special needs, may have an emotional bond to the cause, but more often it is their strength and not their weakness. The best therapists are those who are qualified, as well as concerned for the children, and for whom it is not just a job but a way to make a positive difference for a child. You really cannot work well on something if you don't feel connected to the work you do. Having an emotional connect is not a bad thing especially since we are dealing with children and their families.
  2. A therapist who is also a parent has an insight to how a parent feels and the challenges they face in getting the services. Many times during the early years the parents would also need a lot of guidance and support. It helps to have a professional who understands the parent point of view and yet give them a voice of reason. One of the best therapists that my daughter got was her first occupational therapist, Mariette. She herself was a special needs mom, and in the early years of my daughter's diagnosis, I could derive so much strength from her and discuss so many things with her, because I felt she understood what I feel.
  3. A lot of good work that is being done for providing services for children with special needs, especially in India, is been done by parents, be it setting up institutions or working as professionals. So if it was not for many of these parents, we would have not got many of good special needs professionals who have worked hard to provide the much needed services in the field of special education.


Well, these are my thoughts which I feel would be true in most situations, if not all. I have come across many therapists, who are not parents, but who were genuinely concerned about the child and have brought such positive impact in the life of my child and many other children. And then there are many parents, like me, who have so much more to learn. So its not a black and white zone. All I wish to say is a special needs professional is good based on whether he is qualified and emotionally connected to the child, and not based on being a parent or not. A parent of special needs child does have some qualities which can give them an edge to be good educators. And I do hope to see many such good educators, parents or not, enter this field. We are really much in need of them.

Comments

  1. very well said Pooja. Keep writing such posts and cir ulate in forums if possible. Very true with your thoughts. Having a special need child and than being a educator is much more in the sense of understanding. Which is is BEST thing anyone could afford. And it is not easy to find someone like that. People should feel great having you at their side as you can understand them better, can provide better solution and can relate to their child in emotional quotient.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,HypertensionFatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Autism,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases,,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.
    Dementia.,Lyme Disease,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,Hpv,Weak Erection,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Breast CANCER,Lung Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Brain Cancer,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease..You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / info@drituaherbalcenter.com. or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts